Sunday, July 15, 2018

Grateful

During our travels we've met people who visit these poor countries and give up everything to serve the people in some way. I've really marveled at their willingness to sacrifice comforts and familiarity for a people they have just met. To be honest, I got home and really appreciated the comforts of America! I was grateful to be back!

America has its share of serious issues right now, and if we aren't careful, we could lose many of our rights and privileges, but overall, we live in an incredible country. For those who are willing, there is a job. For those that work hard, their is potential to climb. In our comfortable culture, many of us have TIME. Time to pursue; time to expound; time to play; time to explore; time to create; time to enjoy life.

I went grocery shopping and couldn't believe the selection of colorful, fresh food. Options. And the store itself is remarkably beautiful and bright and inviting. Business thrives.


America has a remarkable infrastructure. We have space. We have free community events. We have drinking fountains and public toilets and reliable cell service. We have clean water, hot water and some to spare. We have trash collectors, doctors with sufficient skill and equipment, and customer service. We live a good life.

I'm grateful to have been made aware of many people's struggles, and I'm especially amazed at those who so directly give all to meet those people's needs. But mostly, I'm grateful to be HOME.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your time in Africa. Thanks for sharing your journey; it truly makes me more appreciative of all our freedoms. You and Geoff are wonderful parents and your girls have had some of the most fantastic experiences. I'm sure all of these trips around the world have helped them see the world differently and how they can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! Please say hello next time you are in Utah!

    ReplyDelete