Thursday, December 27, 2018

Politics and My Birthday

It is a bit embarrassing to admit, but I've just begun to really think for myself about politics. I didn't know much about specific issues, I just knew I was inclined to one side. Tennie, who leans toward the opposite side, and who is an activist in her core, has challenged me to defend my positions, to think deeply about what I think about various issues, issues I hadn't really looked at closely before. I am really grateful for her love of people. While we still don't agree about some things, I think we agree more than not on most things. But here is what I realized. I care about people's wellbeing. I care about everyone having opportunity. I care about people who need help. But I don't want the government to take my taxes, and here is why: I don't trust that those tax dollars will go to the people who need it most. I don't trust our government to efficiently and effectively use my dollars. If the government was transparent, like a business with an annual report, and I could follow how and where monies were spent, than I would be happy to share more via taxation. But then I had to ask myself, if I'm not in favor of paying taxes, what am I doing to help those in need of help? This has caused to me to open my mind and heart in new ways. First I have to SEE those who need help.

I began to really notice the homeless people that I pass frequently. One day as I headed out on a walk, I saw two homeless men crossing the street in t-shirts. I had just checked the weather before leaving home: 26 degrees. I wanted to stop them right then and there and ask them what sizes they were and to meet me the next day for their new winter gear! But I didn't, I just kept walking. I regretted my lack of courage and action and tried to find them, but couldn't. But the seed to "cloth the naked" was planted.

Let me say here that everyone in our family has a certain amount of money each month with which to help someone in need. We can spend our allotted amount on anyone we want, or we can coordinate together and give a bigger chunk. Well, we had spent a few months worth just a few weeks before I saw these two men. That was one of my hesitations, the budget was spent, but I wanted to do something. So Geoff and I asked our ward (congregation) if anyone had any spare winter coats, and if so, would they bring them to church the following two Sundays to give to those in need. We gathered about 10-12 coats (the weeks leading up to Christmas is not the most ideal time to ask people to clean out their closets!), and one young couple had knit about 10 hats and some scarves!

My birthday was the Sunday before Christmas. We gathered a few friends and headed out on Trax to sing carols and find those who could use a little warmth. We had Candy Canes and chocolate to share too. We rode Trax to the downtown library, where the homeless warm themselves during the day. Immediately we found people who were lacking adequate warm clothing.



They were so grateful for the sweets, and those who benefited from a hand knit hat or scarf, or coat, were so thankful.


We met a refugee from Sudan with his two children, all underdressed. The dad got one of our last coats, and all got a hat. They were so kind and gracious and grateful.


At our last Trax stop before home we saw a man shivering in a t-shirt. We were out of all of our coats, hats and scarves. A few moments later, another man at the stop took off his coat and hat and gave it to the man, revealing his own thin, ragged shirt. He said he was headed home and could do without. We all stood there humbled. This man evidently did not have a lot, but he had enough compassion and willingness to give the coat off his back. This was a beautiful lesson for all of us there.

It was a small drop in an enormous world of need, but it was something. It was a start.

And it was a great birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment